Business Action for Sustainable Development 2012 is the constructive voice of business in the Rio+20 Process.
What We Do
Business Action for Sustainable Development 2012 is a coalition of leading international business groups who are committed to sustainable development with the overall objective to enhance the conference contribution to sustainable and inclusive markets.
The Business Action for Sustainable Development 2012 (BASD 2012) encourages businesses of all sizes to embrace voluntary sustainability principles such as, for example, those embodied in the UN Global Compact.
BASD 2012 aims to represent the constructive business voice in the United Nations RIO+20 process by:
- Coordinating the business input to the formal RIO+20 process;
- Representing business and industry sectors at the UNDESA/DSD Major Groups Programme which is aimed at enhancing Major Group participation in the UNCSD process;
- Demonstrating 1. progress made since the original conference in Rio and, 2., that business is committed to providing the market-based solutions and practices that are essential for the creation of a sustainable world;
- Organising an event during the conference for business to deliver key messages to the participants and to showcase business’ progress since Rio 1992, for example holding a partnership fair demonstrating how business is working with stakeholder to progress on sustainable development issues;
- Coordinating with other organisations (including other UN organisations such as UNEP and UNEPFI) present in Rio
Business Action for Sustainable Development 2012 (BASD 2012) is the official United Nations Major Group coordinator of Business and Industry for the upcoming Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20) to be held in Rio de Janeiro on 4-6 June 2012. BASD 2012 is convened by three leading international business groups as a temporary coalition of business organizations committed to sustainable development.
Why We Do It
The Conveners and Partners, and their member companies, have demonstrated their commitment to sustainable development in word and action since Rio 1992. We remain firmly committed to a sustainable, green economy, supported by sustainable and inclusive markets, and we will continue working with all stakeholders to meet this goal.
In Rio in 2012, we aim to:
- Recognize the progress made toward sustainable development in the past 20 years;
- Recognize the need to accelerate our efforts in order to achieve sustainability;
- Enhance the conference contribution to sustainable and inclusive markets.
BASD 2012 is a comprehensive network of business organizations that have come together under one banner in the interests of sustainable development.
The BASD is convened by:
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC);
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD);
- United Nations Global Compact (UNGC).
A wide range of international industry associates have also joined the coalition as Partners, representing a broad cross-section of industries and geographies. The addition of these highly-regarded partners ensures that the constructive voice of business will be heard in the preparatory process, at the conference itself and during follow-up events.
- Intl. Federation of Private Water Operators (Aquafed);
- Air Transport Action Group (ATAG);
- Business Council for Sustainable Energy (BCSE);
- CropLife International;
- Cement Sustainability Initiative (CSI);
- Digital Energy Solutions Campaign (DESC);
- International Aluminum Institute (IAI);
- International Council of Chemical Associations (ICCA);
- International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM);
- Global Oil & Gas Industry Association (IPIECA);
- World Steel Association.